POSITION TITLE: Production Assistant
Position Type: Part-time, contract
Contract Length: May 30 to August 28, 2022
Salary Range: $22/hr
About Canadian Stage
Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary performing arts organizations. An anchor organization in Toronto’s vibrant cultural scene, Canadian Stage is a home for new, challenging dynamic art forms, as well as an incubator and exporter of leadingedge contemporary and multidisciplinary performance.
Sharing innovative work from Canada and across the world, the company stages an annual season at across three Toronto venues, including its beautiful heritage building on Berkeley and Front Street, in the vibrant St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.
In its long and storied history, Canadian Stage has employed thousands of artists and produced hundreds of new productions to over 5,000,000 audience members, including the premieres of 350+ new Canadian works. Many of the plays developed by Canadian Stage have been awarded and nominated for Canada's most prestigious literary and performing
The Production Assistant assists in the production operations of Canadian Stage providing support to a wide range of production team members and functional areas. In order to qualify the applicant must be a post secondary student.
Position rate and type: $22/hour, 25 - 35 hours per week, between May 30 – Aug 28, 2022
- Member of the Production Department
- Reports directly to the Assistant Production Manager
- Assists other members of the Production Team, as required
- Acquire supplies for general operation, set-up and maintenance of the Berkeley and High Park facilities
- Assist the Technical Director and ATD during set-up and tech, with supplier pick-ups
- Responsible for maintenance of the production vehicles during this contract period
- Assist the Director of Production and Assistant Production Manager with various administrative duties as needed including, but not limited to, filing, organizing office files and supplies
- Communicate with a variety of internal parties for the purpose of ensuring efficient operations within the Production department
- Other duties as required
- Communication – expresses thoughts respectfully, clearly and in a timely fashion keeping a sense of humour through busy times
- Service Orientation – to understand needs, requests, and issues and respond in a timely manner
- Stewardship – to ensure Canadian Stage resources are used efficiently
- Problem Solving – to set priorities and meet multiple deadlines
- Strategic orientation – relies on data to recommend solutions
- Current post secondary student
- One year prior assistance experience in a production environment
- A valid driver’s license is essential, as travel within the province is required.
- Comfort level with driving a cube truck in the city of Toronto.
- Proficiency with MS Office especially Excel, Outlook
Statement of Intention
Canadian Stage is committed to building an anti-racist, equitable and inclusive cultural institution. We work to reflect the stories, ideas, concerns, and priorities of the communities we have been entrusted to serve authentically and meaningfully.
To address the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous administrators at our organization, and to affirm the importance of diverse lived experiences and perspectives, we encourage and welcome applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Effective October 1, 2021, Canadian Stage will only engage and contract individuals who are fully vaccinated. Proof of full vaccination will be required for the Production Assistant candidate selected. The Theatre will inform the candidate of current working conditions at the start of the project and ensure that all government or Public Health guidelines, including physical distancing, PPE, and allowable gathering limits are adhered to throughout the project.
Applications should include:
- A Letter of Intent stating the candidate’s interest in the position, relevant experience and key responsibilities. The letter should be no longer than two pages.
- A Resume.
If possible, please merge your cover letter and resume into one PDF. Please send your application to: email@example.com and use the email subject header “Production Assistant”.
Please submit your application no later than May 18, 2022.