POSITION TITLE: Digital Strategy and Communications Manager
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Start Date: March 2021
Salary Range: $50,000-$60,000
Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary performing arts organizations. An anchor organization in Toronto’s vibrant cultural scene, Canadian Stage is a home for new, challenging dynamic art forms, as well as an incubator and exporter of leading edge contemporary and multidisciplinary performance.
Sharing innovative work from Canada and across the world, the company stages an annual season at across three Toronto venues, including its beautiful heritage building on Berkeley and Front Street, in the vibrant St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.
In its long and storied history, Canadian Stage has employed thousands of artists and produced hundreds of new productions, including the premieres of over 300 new Canadian works. Many of the plays developed by Canadian Stage have been awarded and nominated for Canada's most prestigious literary and performing arts honours, including Governor General's, Chalmers, and Dora Mavor Moore Awards.
Canadian Stage seeks a strategic thinker and passionate digital arts marketer for a new position in the organization: Digital Strategy and Communications Manager. This position has two key areas of responsibility:
- Innovative and best-in-class strategic thinking and execution related to the company’s digital communications across all platforms.
- Bringing creativity and clarity to all organizational communications in ways that are meaningful, engaging, and impactful.
This position presents an exciting opportunity for a creative and enthusiastic storyteller who can effectively share information across multiple platforms, particularly digital. The individual is responsible for the planning, creation, dissemination, and analysis of engaging digital content across Canadian Stage’s social platforms, website, email, and blog. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, this role will collaborate with the marketing team and will be supported by outsourced functions when needed (i.e., graphic design, copyediting).
We are looking for an exemplary creative who knows that extraordinary content and communication ideas can only be realized with a compelling story, clear objectives, and well-organized project management.
This position is regular full-time. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required. The salary is commensurate with experience. Canadian Stage offers a competitive benefits package.
- Develop annual and quarterly Digital Storytelling and Communications strategy plans aligned and measured to communication and revenue objectives.
- Develop and project manage the implementation of digital communication plans.
- Think creatively to find innovative ways to engage Canadian Stage’s online audiences.
- Leverage data and analytics to drive better strategy, storytelling, and content creation for the organization.
- Lead storytelling sessions across the organization to ensure engagement and best practice implementation.
- Develop and manage content planning for the Canadian Stage’s online communications channels, including sales and promotional emails, E-News and blog posts.
- Develop copy guidelines and implement basic training across the organization.
- Engage leaders and departments to shape their narratives to ensure coherence and consistency.
- Prepare weekly and monthly data analytics reports with assessments and recommendations.
- Stay up to date with new digital technologies to identify and integrate new marketing methods and programs where appropriate.
Content Planning and Output
- Plan, generate and publish high-quality, engaging content across all social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Utilize technologies, A/B testing, and other data-driven tools to improve digital content and
- Co-Develop messaging toolkits to aid cross-promotional social media campaigns.
- Facilitate or supervise online fan/follower engagement.
- Work across the company and events to gather materials and develop content that reflects organization’s trajectory and programming.
- Generate, research and pitch blog post ideas and engage external writers, as needed.
- In collaboration with Marketing Manager, update content on website and assist in monitoring content development with external website developers.
- In collaboration with Marketing Manager, organize and maintain the organization’s image file collections, including production videos, photography, and logos.
- Working with the Sponsorship team to ensure all corporate partnership social media deliverables are fulfilled as contracted.
- Collaborate with marketing and development teams to devise and publish regular Email Newsletter(s).
What You'll Bring
- A passion for visual and verbal storytelling, with various techniques and skills to turn those ideas into communications that delivery on function, strategy, and style.
- You are creative, can write copy and pay close attention to detail.
- Solid understanding of how to communicate to different audiences, with experience planning content, editing copy, and managing timelines.
- Demonstrated cultural competency related to both interpersonal and external communications, centered around equity and inclusion, respectful, and responsive to the needs of diverse artists, audiences and communities.
- You think quickly, take initiative, and collaborate comfortably.
- Strong project management skills that deliver ideas in ways that meet deadlines and leave lots of room for planning and creativity.
- Years of experience in digital communications and content creation. The number of years isn’t important – it’s what you’ve done with them.
- A track record of progressively responsible experience in digital marketing and communications, and likely some experience with cultural / arts marketing or related fields.
- You may have a post-secondary in marketing, English, creative writing, or communications.
Important Technical Skills
- Strong understanding of effective SEO strategies related to Ecommerce and brand storytelling.
- Strong proficiency in Excel and keyword research tools.
- Ability to produce and develop interactive graphics, incorporating photos and videos. Some background in video and/or photo editing.
- Knowledge of digital storytelling, social media platforms and how to amplify content across multiple mediums.
- Experience in gathering and using data to guide editorial content strategy; ability to interpret data and share insights in a meaningful way.
- Working familiarity with CRM systems is an asset.
Statement of Intention
Canadian Stage is committed to building an anti-racist organization and an equitable and inclusive cultural institution. We are working to reflect the stories, ideas, concerns and priorities of the communities we have been entrusted to serve authentically and meaningfully.
To address the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous employees at Canadian Stage, and to affirm the importance of diverse lived experiences and insights for this position and Canadian Stage as a whole, we encourage and welcome applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black and People of Colour in the application process.
Applications should include:
- A Letter of Intent stating the candidate’s interest in the position, relevant experience and key responsibilities. The letter should be no longer than two pages.
- A Resume.
If possible, please merge your cover letter and resume into one PDF. Please send your application to: [email protected] and use the email subject header “Digital Strategy and Communications Manager”.
The review of applications will begin on March 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.