POSITION TITLE: Associate Director of Marketing, Strategy and Growth
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000
Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary performing arts organizations. An anchor organization in Toronto’s vibrant cultural scene, Canadian Stage is a home for new, challenging dynamic art forms, as well as an incubator and exporter of leading edge contemporary and multidisciplinary performance.
Sharing innovative work from Canada and across the world, the company stages an annual season at across three Toronto venues, including its beautiful heritage building on Berkeley and Front Street, in the vibrant St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.
In its long and storied history, Canadian Stage has employed thousands of artists and produced hundreds of new productions, including the premieres of over 300 new Canadian works. Many of the plays developed by Canadian Stage have been awarded and nominated for Canada's most prestigious literary and performing arts honours, including Governor General's, Chalmers, and Dora Mavor Moore Awards.
Canadian Stage seeks a strategic thinker and passionate arts marketer for a new position in the organization: Associate Director of Marketing, Strategy and Growth.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, this new position provides critical focus and support to long-range planning and data-driven strategies, focusing on maximizing audience recovery post-COVID and ensuring tactics are effective, efficient, and always aligned to strategy.
This leadership position will be responsible for the innovative and best-in-class customer-centred and data-driven audience growth through strategies across new and existing segments: subscription, loyalty programs, return visitation, audience services/hospitality, and digital engagement.
This role also works on key strategic projects with cross-organizational teams to provide strategic communications input. By working closely with other departments (including development/fundraising and programming), this individual will work to understand and support departmental priorities and to develop recommendations to support desired outcomes, communications approaches, and integrated marketing implementation plans.
Our dream candidate is a results-oriented, highly motivated strategist able to drive change internally and create/support systems that codify strategy into tactical planning.
This position presents an exciting opportunity for an existing or emerging leader to work primarily on long-range planning and strategy, and to work closely with executive leadership and cross-departmentally to embed excellence in strategic communication and planning across the organization.
Long-Range Marketing and Audience Strategy Planning
- With the Director of Marketing and Communications and leadership, develop long-term and multi-year marketing and communications plan in support of measurable audience growth and institutional objectives.
- Drive, develop and communicate strategic insights, tools, and standardized frameworks in support of marketing strategy and planning.
- Plan and implement market research and data analytical process and ensure a culture of data-driven decision-making.
- Develop recommendations related to resource allocations.
- Drive sharing of best practices across the marketing team and across the organization.
- Work with limited direction, likely within a prolonged and uncertain post-COVID recovery period, to drive rigorous, strategy-driven recommendations to senior management and staff.
- Play a key role in the development of KPIs and analysis performance to inform ongoing optimization of communication and marketing strategies and tactics.
Campaigns and Project Planning
This position will work with leadership and marketing team members to align project or program marketing and communication plans to multi-year strategic planning, including:
- Devise data-driven strategies for annual subscription and loyalty programs and initiatives and translate those strategies into actionable tactical plans for the team.
- Devise data-driven strategies for annual telesales campaigns and translate those strategies into actionable tactical plans for the team.
- Develop and oversee implementation of strategies that drive high audience engagement and increased visitation frequency.
- Informed by strategy and data, co-create subscriber recognition and benefits programs.
- Informed by strategy, provide recommendations, and participate in the creation of audience engagement planning and best-in-class in-theatre patron experience.
- In conjunction with Director of Marketing and Communications, review all print, digital, email marketing and other communications to ensure external materials align to strategy.
- Systemize, collect, and analyze data and other KPIs to monitor project or campaign progress during implementation and make recommendations for adjustments as needed.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing team to develop a consolidated public-facing customer service ethos that informs all interactions with Canadian Stage visitors across all departments.
- Other duties as required.
What You'll Bring
- You bring experience developing strategic integrated marketing plans, with an existing and deep understanding of audience development, on behalf of a performing arts or cultural organization is a must for this position.
- You are a bold and accountable. You have experience developing and implementing strategic and long-term goals.
- You are an innovator with an appetite for expansive thinking, creativity, community-building and radical hospitality.
- You are digitally savvy and data driven. You seek out innovative solutions and embrace evolving technologies. You can easily adapt to new tools and trends.
- You act like an owner. You thrive when you are empowered to take the lead, go above and beyond, and deliver results.
- You look beyond the moment. You make decisions and take actions that will make a difference today and tomorrow. You proactively seek new solutions to overcome all obstacles.
- You can inspire people. Your writing and verbal communication skills are top-notch and you love presentations.
- You likely have a post-secondary education, perhaps in marketing, communications, or arts-related fields.
Key Competencies for this Position
- Significant track record of progressively responsible experience in marketing/advertising for not-for-profit institutions in the performing arts or related cultural sector.
- Strong organizational, project management, analytical and interpersonal skills
- As a steward for internal and external communications, you have cultural competencies that are centred around equity and inclusion and in ways that are responsive to the needs of diverse communities, including the ability and experience to identify and understand intersecting issues related to gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, race/ethnicity, immigration status, religion, Indigenous heritage, and gender identity.
- The ability to adapt and respond to learnings, critique, and input.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrable skills to interact effectively with team members to direct workflow, assess performance and assign duties.
- Knowledge of CRM systems is a plus.
- Ability to work in compliance with strict regulatory standards.
Statement of Intention
Canadian Stage is committed to building an anti-racist organization and an equitable and inclusive cultural institution. We are working to reflect the stories, ideas, concerns and priorities of the communities we have been entrusted to serve authentically and meaningfully.
To address the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous employees at Canadian Stage, and to affirm the importance of diverse lived experiences and insights for this position and Canadian Stage as a whole, we encourage and welcome applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black and People of Colour in the application process.
Applications should include:
- A Letter of Intent stating the candidate’s interest in the position, relevant experience and key responsibilities. The letter should be no longer than two pages.
- A Resume.
If possible, please merge your cover letter and resume into one PDF. Please send your application to: email@example.com and use the email subject header “Associate Director of Marketing, Strategy and Growth”.
The review of applications will begin on April 6, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.