POSITION TITLE: Assistant Production Manager
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Salary Range: Level 5 with a range of $46,800-$57,000
ABOUT CANADIAN STAGE
Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary performing arts organizations. An anchor organization in Toronto’s vibrant cultural scene, Canadian Stage is a home for new and dynamic art forms, as well as an incubator and exporter of leading-edge contemporary and multidisciplinary performance.
Sharing innovative work from Canada and across the world, the company stages an annual season across three Toronto venues, including its beautiful heritage building on Berkeley and Front Street located in the vibrant St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood.
In its long and storied history, Canadian Stage has employed thousands of artists and produced hundreds of new productions to over 5,000,000+ audience members, including the premieres of over 350+ new Canadian theatre and dance works. Many of the plays developed by Canadian Stage have been awarded and nominated for Canada's most prestigious literary and performing arts honours, including Governor General's, Chalmers, and Dora Mavor Moore Awards.
The Assistant Production Manager (APM) is a member of the Production Department and reports to the Director of Production. In collaboration with the Director of Production and the Technical Director, the APM is responsible for the daily operation of the Production Department and the productions, presentations, and related activities of Canadian Stage.
- Reports to the Director of Production
- Other members of the Production Department
- Other Canadian Stage departments
- The creative and production teams of productions and presentations
- Coordinate the daily operations of the Canadian Stage production office.
- Administer the payroll for all hourly Production staff including IATSE 58 & 822 personnel.
- Administer production charge backs and invoices as required for all renters.
- Process all production expenses – petty cash, credit card reconciliations, invoices, etc
- Track production expenses and prepare estimates to completion
- Generate contracts for designers, stage managers, and other production personnel along with cheque requisitions and payment tracking as required.
- Co-ordinate execution of contracts and distribution to required parties.
- Generate and manage the season and monthly schedule document for all productions, presentations, and production spaces.
- Co-ordinate, distribute, and update production schedules
- Manage the calls and scheduling of IATSE 822 Wardrobe staff
- Liaise with rental clients of the Berkeley Street Theatres, rehearsal hall, and shops on production issues. Co-ordinate rental production requirements and schedule with production department as necessary.
- Manage keys, alarm codes, and lock up procedures with stage managers and renters.
- Share key production information with other departments as needed.
- Assist with technical requirements for artistic development programming.
- Assist with technical requirements for development, marketing, and educational events.
- Assist and relieve the TD and ATD during productions as needed.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of props, wardrobe, and stage management moves from rehearsal hall to theatre.
- Responsible for the booking of the production vehicles and departmental charge backs for vehicle usage.
- Acquire supplies for general operation and maintenance of the Production Department.
- Maintain Production based show archives.
- Manages staff in all technical areas and venues as required.
- Hire temporary personnel (production assistants, drivers, etc) in consultation with the Director of Production.
- Communicates with designers, directors, and stage management as necessary for troubleshooting and production continuity.
- Maintains a production quality of the highest standard.
- Evening and weekend work is required for this position
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Production.
- Intermediate Excel skill for budgeting and cost analysis
- Demonstrated proficiency using MS Word, Outlook
- Ability to manage documents and project details with MS Sharepoint and Teams
- Proficiency with tracking expense and contract details
- Able to prioritize among multiple demands
- Organized and detail oriented in order to meet tight deadlines
- Superior ability to work well with others and be an effective team member
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Superior customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with an accounting system such as NetSuite or Quickbooks is an asset
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- You love the performing arts and you like bringing your organizational and attention to detail superpowers to creative environments.
- You thrive on working with artists and supporting the work that they do – you are also an artist in what you do.
- You show your best when juggling multiple projects…(wait, squirrel!)...and you work well independently.
- You have a demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and inclusion.
- You maintain diplomacy and confidentiality while being able to handle emergencies and situations professionally and calmly.
- You are proactive, resourceful, and creative with a solution-minded approach to projects and initiatives.
STATEMENT OF INTENTION
Canadian Stage is committed to building an anti-racist, equitable and inclusive cultural institution. We work to reflect the stories, ideas, concerns, and priorities of the communities we have been entrusted to serve authentically and meaningfully.
To address the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous administrators at our organization, and to affirm the importance of diverse lived experiences and perspectives, we encourage and welcome applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Applications should include:
- A Letter of Intent stating the candidate’s interest in the position and relevant experience. The letter should be no longer than two pages.
- A Resume
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one PDF. Please send your application to: email@example.com and use the email subject header, “APM”
Please submit your application no later than September 3, 2021.
Canadian Stage is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free experience to applicants with accessibility or other needs. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage during the recruitment process.
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we sincerely thank all candidates for their interest and efforts, only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.