Co-produced by Canadian Stage and the Toronto International Festival of Authors in association with Diaspora Dialogues.
The Elements of Story: Khaled Hosseini
Canadian Stage and Toronto International Festival of Authors teamed up to present a six-week exploration into Khaled Hosseini’s captivating A Thousand Splendid Suns.
The Elements of Story delves into the work and ideas of internationally celebrated authors and cultural thinkers.
Participants embarked on a six-week exploration into Khaled Hosseini’s captivating bestselling novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Hosted by the winner of the 2020 Canada Reads competition, Samra Habib (We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir), this one-of-a-kind series of interactive discussions and lectures allowed readers to deepen their experience and understanding of the novel and its author through a look into Afghanistan’s complex intersection of politics, religion, and gender.
This online program included:
- A live In Conversation with Khaled Hosseini event - Fri Nov 13, 7pm
- In Their Element: three 90-minute lectures by leading scholars, thinkers, and artists exploring related topics
- Mozhdah Jamalzadah: acclaimed Afghan singer and talk show host, dubbed “the Oprah of Afghanistan” - Tue Oct 6, 7pm
- Dr. Kamal Al-Solaylee: celebrated author and journalist - Tue Oct 20, 7pm
- Nahlah Ayed: Award-winning journalist and host - Tues Nov 3, 7pm
- The Elements of Story Book Club: three facilitated 90-minute group discussions - Thurs Oct 15, 29, and Nov 12, 7pm
In addition, participants will have exclusive access to an original series of microfilm poems by Afghan and Canadian filmmakers commissioned especially for this unique event, produced by Golden Hour Productions.